Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Marion Sitton : The World's Greatest Crayon Artist

After a bet at a bridge party that he could create art using any medium, Marion began to explore the possibilities of the crayon and created a technique that pushed its boundaries beyond what anyone would expect. Paintings, Christmas cards, a crayon art instructional book and local acclaim all followed, giving Marion the moniker...


THE WORLD'S GREATEST CRAYON ARTIST


Wildflowers

New Crayon Art Book (back cover)

Joyce's Jars

John Denver

Businessman and luxury retailer Stanley Marcus of (Neiman Marcus)

Shirley Jones

Horse

Foggy Liftoff



In the 1970's, Marion wrote and laid out an instructional "how-to" book on crayon art titled THE NEW CRAYON ART BOOK. A natural for art supply stores, libraries, hospitals and schools, the book is currently looking for a publisher.





In 1975, Marion's crayon work was highlighted in a 3-page article published in Southwest Airlines Magazine. Unfortunately the magazine didn't utilize color printing throughout the issue and Marion was shortchanged in black and white, which is kind of silly as the main focus of his crayon art is in the wonderful color palette. 



Southwest Airlines Magazine (May 1975)











And my favorite of all:


Hummingbird and Sunflower



















6 comments:

  1. Wow! Just stumbled upon this, Doc. Wonderful stuff from a wonderful (but grossly underrated and under-appreciated) artist! I don't know of any other crayon artists but I'd certainly call Marion one of the greatest for sure. (I always hesitate for using "world's greatest" because there could always be some bloke on a south sea island somewhere who's better but no one will ever know about.) Amazing, creative and visually vibrant technique.

    I actually bought a box of crayons at a garage sale for a dime, figuring I could use them for "something", and this has definitely given me some ideas, inspiration and motivation.

    Thank you! (And thanks to Mr. Sitton, R.I.P. I hope he and Gene Colan are having fun talking about art and their Atlas days.)

    Best,
    Mike Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it, Mike! I wish I had more images to display as I believe Marion painted scores of paintings with crayon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased a framed Foggy Liftoff at an auction. I have always believed it to be an original art piece, but now thinking it might be a print since I see it pictured here on this site. Any ideas? I would have to take it out of the frame to tell for sure. Is it possible it is original? Were his works distributed as prints? Thanks, Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marion did make some prints, I think I may have one of Foggy Liftoff. If you take it out of the frame, you will be able to tell immediately. if smooth, it's a print. if rough and bumpy, that's a crayon surface and it's original. Let me know!

      Delete
    2. I have an original crayon that Marion gave my husband & I as a house warming gift. He was the former tenant in the house we bought from Joyce. Who also has originals

      Delete
    3. Hi, thanks for the comment. Is Joyce still in the area? I'd love to get in touch with her and speak to her about Marion.

      Delete