A gloriously happy 50th anniversary to the most miraculous, most improbable, and most unadulteratingly joyous championship in the history of sports, the 1969 "Miracle" New York Mets!
1969... A year of moon walks, Woodstock, the end of the Beatles, Nixon, Vietnam ... and the Mets!
From 100 to 1 odds at the start of the season, a team that never finished higher than 9th place, helmed by a Hall of Fame caliber manager and stocked with a deep pitching rotation including 2 future and 1 near Hall of Famer, this team caught fire in the summer and blazed from 10 games behind to a 100-62 record, winning the division by 8 games after a season-long battle with the Chicago Cubs. From there they swept the Atlanta Braves for the N.L Championship and rolled over the powerful and heavily favored Baltimore Orioles in 5 games.
11 game winning streaks, trade deadline acquisitions, black cats, knock-down pitches, "Good Night, Leo," imperfect games, Cy Young winners ... we all know the stories of this wonderful season. I present below how the end was covered by the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS. I will limit my comments and leave hi-resolution scans of the actual articles and newspaper photos to do the talking. There are a few papers missing, which I will add in the future. Missing days include newspaper coverage of Game 1 of the N.L. Playoffs and Game 4 of the World Series (Sorry! I promise I'll get them here in the future!)
We'll start with the lead up to clinching the National League Eastern Division title......
Page 13 - Editorial
Click here for Agee....
Page 48 - Bruce Stark ad illustration
Page 51 - Editorial
Page 64 - Ed Sullivan's column
Page 84 - Blurb at end of TV column announcing the Mets' appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.
Bill Gallo (1)
And finally, let's top this off by a posting of The 1969 Mets Portfolio of Stars by the great caricaturist, News staff cartoonist Bruce Stark. This portfolio collected on better paper stock the player images the News had been printing all through the latter part of the season.
All New York Daily News scans are from the author's collection, scanned originally at 300 dpi and cleaned up in Photoshop. Likewise, The 1969 NY Mets Portfolio scans.
- New York Daily News - September 25, 1969; NYC Edition
- New York Daily News - September 26, 1969; National Edition
- New York Daily News - October 6, 1969; National Edition
- New York Daily News - October 7, 1969; NYC Edition
- New York Daily News - October 7, 1969; National Edition
- New York Daily News - October 8, 1969; National Edition
- New York Daily News - October 9, 1969; National Edition
- New York Daily News - October 10, 1969; National Edition
- New York Sunday News - October 12, 1969; NYC "Night Owl" Edition
- New York Daily News - October 13, 1969; NYC Edition
- New York Daily News - October 15, 1969; NYC Edition
- New York Daily News - October 17, 1969; NYC Edition